Here at HippyHaze we know we’re going to be mixing lots of different age ranges together and not everyone who attends will have been to a festival before. But don’t worry, you know what we’re like with preparation, so this is just a quick guide to advise you what to pack and what not to pack, so you don’t end up without your essentials on the weekend...
DON’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT
· 1) A tent with lines/poles/groundsheet/pegs. Of course this all depends on how comfortable you want to be during the weekend. Sleeping mats, sleeping bags, duvets and pillows also fall into this category.
· 2) Wellies or boots... The field at Foxfields generally isn’t swampy. However, we all know how unpredictable the Great British weather is! Plus, wellies are really on-trend for this Spring/Summer anyway, so you’ll be looking chic also. :) An anorak or water-proof coat wouldn’t go amiss either, preferably with a hood; the main bands will be playing under the cover of a marquee, but you may need to walk through rain in order to get there.
· 3) One change of clothes per day. A certain festival organizer’s daughter is having a nightmare about having to pack a ‘capsule’ wardrobe. However, we all must remember that this HippyHaze is a music festival, not a fashion show... no-one cares what you look like as long as you’re enjoying the bands!
· 4) Toiletries. This includes make-up remover wipes, hand towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, tampons (girls only :) unless you're into anything freaky)... , contact lenses and solution. On that note, don’t forget your specs or ear plugs and you can bring a mini-first aid kit too if you fancy, but we will have registered first aiders on site at all times. Don’t forget sunscreen too. Again, we never know what the weather will do, but you don’t want to spend the weekend lying on the floor in the portaloos naked because the cold floor feels nice against your red-raw back. If you regularly take medication you must bring that too.
· 5) Contraceptives. As much as we’d love for a happy couple to come into one of our shops in nine month’s time and tell us that their beautiful baby was conceived at the first ever HippyHaze, we would hate for anyone to come to us in one month’s time talking us how they managed to contract Chlamydia because they forgot their condoms. Just in case you do forget them, we have a Chlamydia-testing station where you’ll be able to grab a few freebies.
· 6) Torch. The campsite will be floodlit an hour before the last band finished until an hour after the silent disco. This leaves enough time for you guys to get back to your tent without falling into an unsuspecting sleeper’s tent. However, during the night, we will be in pitch black darkness so you might want a torch to guide you to the toilets for a midnight, alcohol-induced tinkle.
· 7) Electrics. Don’t forget your mobile phones and make sure they’re all charged up before the weekend starts as you won’t be able to do this at HippyHaze. Also, make sure you bring your cameras to capture all of those magical moments!
· 8) ID. You won’t be able to purchase alcohol at our bar without an over-18’s wrist band, for which you need to provide an over-18 ID. Sorry folks, but that’s the law :(
· 9) Your ticket!!! Without tickets you will not be able to get into HippyHaze. Even if you’ve bought a ticket but forgot it, unfortunately we can’t tell whether you’ve sold your ticket since purchasing and are just trying to pull the wool over our eyes, so you must have a valid ticket for the day you’re attending.
· 10) Money. Obviously this totally depends on how much you want to eat/drink/buy at the festival. You’re more than welcome to bring your own food into the festival, but we will have lots of places you can buy yummy stuff and we’d hate for you to go hungry so make sure you have enough cash to keep your tummies happy.
· 11) Warm comfy clothes. It may get cold during the night, so make sure you bring joggers, sweaters and thick socks for just in case.
DON’T EVEN CONSIDER BRINGING
- Guns. Only joking, we know most people don’t have access to guns in the UK. However, anything which could be considered as a ‘dangerous weapon’ will be confiscated upon arrival. Unfortunately this includes metal cutlery, as some warped individuals have been known to stab others with these otherwise innocent appliances and have ruined it for the rest of us. Spoil-sports.
· Glass bottles. We understand that some forms of alcohol are only usually sold in glass. However, these bottles can be used to hit people with and smashed glass isn’t a good idea in any place where people may trip and fall or be barefoot. So try decanting your vodka/whiskey/rum/alcopops into a big plastic Coca-Cola bottle, or buying boxes of wine instead of bottles. Cans are allowed.
· Pets. As much as we’d love to coo over how cute your pet turtle is, it’s just not practical.
· Anything (except for matches and lighters) which involves fire. So no fireworks, sparklers, barbecues etc.
· Sound systems. We will have music playing as loudly as we’re allowed until we’re no longer allowed to play it by sound-pollution laws. At that point we will have a silent disco running on for a couple more hours. However, after we stop playing music, noise pollution in any kind of extreme and disruptive manner will not be condoned. In order to enforce that rule, we are not allowing any PA systems, iPod speakers or ‘boom boxes’ as they were known in the good ol’ 90’s under any circumstances.
Make sure you’re only bringing your essentials as you will have to carry them across the field! Also, try only to bring things that you’re able to take back home with you as we’d like to leave Foxfields as clean as possible once we’re finished and don’t want things left behind!
We hope this guide has helped you out in terms of planning what to bring. We’re hoping to have a generally friendly bunch of guests too, so if you’re in a mess having forgotten something someone will sort you out. Don’t forget we have clothes stalls, food stalls, a cigarette stall, a bar and like I said we even have a Chlamydia testing van where you’ll be able to grab a cheeky condom if you find yourself in such a position as you need one. We’ve got you covered :)
Can’t wait, not long to go now!
TICKETS ARE SELLING OUT RAPIDLY NOW. MAKE SURE YOU HEAD INTO MUSIC MANIA OR THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE COMPANY IN NEWCASTLE OR HANLEY AND GET YOURS NOW. A COUPLE OF THE BANDS ARE STILL FLOGGING TICKETS, BUT THEY'RE RAPIDLY RUNNING OUT NOW SO GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN! £14 FOR A DAY PASS INCLUDING ONE NIGHT CAMPING AND JUST £33 FOR A THREE-NIGHT CAMPING TICKET. See you there :)
Love and milkshakes
The Hippy Hippy Shake Company