The Hippy Hippy Shake Company Blog...

Facebook... Twitter... Youtube...

Friday 17 February 2012

The Hippy Hippy Shake Company Sits Down With... Aaron Mobberly from Clockwork Owls!

You know how the Hippy Hippy Shake Company likes hitting two birds with one stone? Well, imagine our luck when we realized that on the same night as Jim McShee was playing at The Old Brown Jug, so was the lovely bespectacled Aaron Mobberly from Clockwork Owls. Naturally we leapt at the opportunity to grab a quick interview with him in between sound-checks and despite my concern that I might begin to get a reputation, I dragged him out of the back-door just like I did with Jim, so we could talk in 'private'. Not nearly as naughty as it sounds, we spent the next ten minutes talking about music, college and milkshakes. My kind of conversation...


***


It's so very nice to meet you Aaron. I've heard so much about you! Am I right in thinking you're not actually performing with Clockwork Owls tonight?
Yeah, that's right. I'm taking a slight break from Clockwork for a little bit at the moment just to focus more on my acoustic stuff. This is my solo act. But don't worry, we'll be back on form for HippyHaze!

Good. Or else *smiles sweetly yet with what I like to believe is a dangerous looks behind the eyes* So, tell me about Clockwork Owls...
I'm on bass and vocals, we have Jimmy T on guitar, then Josh Morris and he's the drummer. We're alternative rock, with post-punk influences. We love Joy Division for our bass and drums post-punk element. Then Foals have a huge influence on us, and Wild Beasts too. Jim likes Radiohead and anything that's more progressive whilst Josh prefers more punk music.

Big mix. Like a cocktail. Yum. So how did you guys meet?
Me and James met at Newcastle college. I'm studying photography now (which is an expensive hobby...) but I was originally doing music technology which is where I first met Jim and Luke our past band member. Luke's at uni now. Then as for Josh, well, he goes to our college too but we actually met him at a gig here at The Old Brown Jug!

Ahh no way small world! Well I guess the music scene relies heavily on people being sociable, introducing themselves to new people and networking, right?
Yeah definitely. I mean that's how we've got a lot of our gigs really. After college Jim and I used to go around Newcastle, come to The Old Brown Jug and The Full Moon and we used to just talk to people and make new friends. It's all about making friends and knowing people who know people.

Ok, so around about how many gigs have you done together?
With Clockwork Owls we've done about twenty gigs probably. My favorite gig was on the 23rd of December. We supported The Control and the atmosphere was fantastic. It was the fullest gig I've ever played and we even had a small mosh-pit for our music so I was amazed, it was really cool.

Sure you'll probably have a lot of that at HippyHaze too what with all the beer. How do you get along in terms of writing the music?
We all write the songs together. Like I'll come up with a bass-line, then Jimmy and Josh will write to it. Lyrics usually come last and I don't really think about them. I usually write lyrics when I'm tired and I find that my subconscious comes out. Like a stream-of-consciousness rather than a planned out thing.

That's so refreshing! I like that. Now, if you could choose any act that is playing at HippyHaze to collaborate with who would you choose?
Ahh it's funny because some of the acts are already doing that for Stoke Sounds this summer. But apart from those that I'm working with on that, I guess I'd have to say Shane from The Get Alongs. He's like my brother. Oh, and Jo-ee-T. I met him at Mark Askew's gig at The Underground a couple of weeks ago. He's a bit of an icon for the Stoke scene.

Yeah, everyone gets really excited about Jo-ee-T! Anyways, let's wrap this up so you can get on with your folksy-acoustic set shall we? The one thing I really want to know is *drumroll please* what's your favorite Hippy Hippy Shake Milkshake?
*Laughs guiltily* I've had way too many to count... that's why I've got a bit of *gropes at stomach and trails off* Anyway, Ferrero Rocher has to be my favorite.

Mmm, good choice. Well thanks for your time Aaron, break a leg!
Thanks.

***

I can honestly say that Aaron's acoustic set was so easy to listen to, I could have listened all day. AND THEN when I got home and did a bit of Clockwork Owls listening on their Myspace page, I was amazed that this was the same guy! The quality of both projects is undoubtedly fantastic, yet they're so different that you can really tell that this is a guy with serious talent and flair for music. Clockwork Owls are officially on my Must See list for HippyHaze this Easter, and I strongly suggest you add them to yours too, especially if you've got a thing for handsome rebellious artists with catchy choruses. The ladies out there are going to adore Not My Face, and if they don't then they're stupid. 'Nuff said. :P

TICKETS ARE SELLING OUT FAST SO MAKE SURE YOU HEAD INTO THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE COMPANY IN NEWCASTLE OR HANLEY AND GET YOURS NOW. £14 FOR A DAY PASS INCLUDING ONE NIGHT CAMPING AND JUST £33 FOR A THREE-NIGHT CAMPING TICKET. PLUS IF YOU BUY A 3 NIGHT TICKET, GET ANY REGULAR SHAKE FOR FREE!

Love and milkshakes
The Hippy Hippy Shake Company

No comments:

Post a Comment